The Ram Slam achieved the reputation as one of the most thrilling competitions in SA sport. With 32 matches in 6 weeks, South Africa’s domestic T20 tournament was all about delivering big 6’s & world class entertainment to fans – culminating in the Ram Slam Final which delivered one of the best days in SA sport.
RAM’s marketing objectives – delivering the Fan Experience:
To impact Brand saliency
- RAM’s key objective/positioning statement was “To provide the most thrilling Summer Entertainment”. They wanted to be the brand that brought fans great entertainment.
Have a sold-out stadium
RAM’s business objectives centered around their customers
- Utilise the series as a platform to entertain new and existing clients.
- Secure a minimum of 3 new key clients through leads.
- Generate a Sponsorship return of 5:1.
Catch A Million Competition
- Spectators in the stadium stood a chance to win their share of R1m if they caught a six one handed
- Extensive ATL, PR & Social Media campaign
- For the final, Ram ran a #DropAMillion competition, featuring the worst catches that fans could vote for on Social Media
- The Ram Slam culminated in the special delivery of the winners of the Catch A Million competition when they were flown in to the stadium by 2 branded Ram helicopters which landed on the field before the start of the final
Cricket & Comedy
- To take the excitement of the tournament to the next level, Ram introduced Comedians as Brand Ambassadors
- Comedians – For the final Joey Rasdien was used to put a different “spin” on the game. Featuring as “co-commentator” he provided very entertaining commentary and pitch reporting for viewers!
- He “interviewed” players during the game which generated excellent viewer entertainment
- He also engaged with fans in the stands & interviewed them during the match
- All the comedians were used for PR & influencers to promote the final
The Ram Drop Zone
- An exhilarating 18m platform the “Ram Drop Zone” where fans could jump from inside the stadium
- Next to the Catch A Million competition, this created the most excitement with long queues of fans wanting to jump
- Players & media jumped as well & this generated great entertainment and TV content
Ram “Dance Cam”
- Show your dance move when the Ram Slam song plays.
- The TV camera focuses on all the dance moves in the stands during the game & the winner in each innings wins R2 000 at each game
The Ram Jam
- Euphonik & Black Coffee provided the pre-match, half time and post match entertainment to fans.
- A custom made DJ Deck with lazer lighting was set up on the side of the field where fans could jam to the music
- The match had a Ram Deliverer of the Match (best bowling figures) & Ram Slammer of the Match (best batsman)
- Match umpires were delivered in a Ram branded golf cart on to the pitch and the match ball was delivered via a remote controlled Ram “Delivery Van”
- The traditional “Heads or Tails” coin toss was replaced with “Ram or Slam” – a creative way of generating TV exposure for Ram
- Ram hosted VIP Hospitality to entertain current & prospective clients
- A VIP Marquee was set up on the side of the field for the final where guests could enjoy the cricket & entertainment pitch side in a as well as have the chance to catch a six!
‘Thrilling Summer Entertainment’ Impact
- “What do you think of the Entertainment?” 77% of fans responded “Awesome”*.
- “What do you think of the Catch A Million competition?” 93% of respondents said “I love it”*.
- The competition captivated local and international TV audiences and was aired on CNN and Sky News.
- The final was sold out.
- Total Brand Exposure ROI of 16:1**.
- The RAM Slam Final generated substantial Media Exposure Value**, reaching the intended target market both at stadium and at home through a highly effective campaign successfully integrating Broadcast, Activation, PR and Social Media.
- Media value (TV, Radio, Print, Online) generated for the final alone resulted in an ROI of 22:1
Social Media engagement Highlights
- Twitter followers increased by 382% vs PY.
- A total 229,000 tweet impressions.
New Leads, new Business
- RAM hosted over 200 clients.
- RAM secured 5 new clients as a direct result of the sponsorship.
- The value of this new business to RAM was R48m.
- RAM gave 10 000 tickets to staff, making them part of the game.
- Won the award for Best New Sponsorship in 2014 in the Discovery Sports Industry Awards
- Nominated for Best Integrated Campaign in 2015 in the Discovery Sports Industry Awards
- Nominated for Best Sponsorship of an Event in 2016 in the Discovery Sports Industry Awards
“We could not have achieved these phenomenal results without the strategic & activation excellence of Mscsports. Their integrated approach to holistic sponsorship management & brand activation combined with a proven ability to deliver innovative brand integration elements created a powerful campaign platform that has taken the Ram brand to a new level”